Saturday, February 16, 2008

S.A.D





As I mentioned earlier, I felt awful this Valentine's Day as it was such a HUGE difference compared to last year's.

This year: NO dates, NO pressies, NO flowers and NO plans.

All the NO statements remained constant except for the final one when around 5 'o' clock in the evening, a male childhood friend msgd me on YM asking whether
I would like to join his 'Gang' to hangout on this very 'supposedly LOVING night'.

And this year, I learnt a VERY IMPORTANT LESSON: SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.

A few of my girlfriends were complaining on the gifts they received on Valentine's Day.
One complained that she only received some lousy chocolates.
Next day during breakfast, a colleague complained that her bouquet of roses were not even a dozen. Besides the bouquet, she received some chocolates and a porcelain gift. And yet, she's complaining.

At least they received SOMETHING. I, who received NOTHING told them that THEY should be VERY THANKFUL.

So yeah, the invitation to hang-out on Valentine's Day meant EVERYTHING to me. I learnt
what it felt to be dateless on the overrated Vday that EVERYONE IN LOVE is celebrating.
It put me in other people's shoes.

But at times like this, FRIENDS are the MOST IMPORTANT people in your lives. They are the BEST company to share your JOY and SORROW with.

So that night, I finally took my car out for a drive with 'THE GANG of S.A.D People'.
As I thought, I didn't get to take the FIAT Punto out coz it would freak my brother out though
he's in the UK at the moment, plus I won't be able to open the rooftop coz it's not in a very good condition. So I opened the roof-top of my Apache Mercedez instead.

All together there were 6 of us : 4 boys and 2 girls.

We took a night ride to PUTRAJAYA, Alip (my childhood mate) took the other girl and a guy friend in his car and I took 2 of the other boys in mine so that it would be a good balance.
The guy in Alip's car brought his Professional Camera with him so he was snapping photos
of us.

One of the guys treated us the famous 'SATE KAJANG' and some 'ROTI JOHN', (teringat I kat John Hafiz) and we SINGLETONS toasted to a very 'Happy V-Day for us LOSERS' . Although I didn't really think I was a LOSER, I
toasted anyway. (hohohoh...so vain of me not to admit but really, I didn't feel like a LOSER at all coz being dateless on V-day ain't EVERYTHING...)

The night was full of food, photo shoots and laughter. All of us had a very good time enjoying
the fresh breezy night air and appreciating each other's company. We stayed out late until 2am.
It felt REALLY good. Only then it occurred it to me, " Why do we need to go out on a date to
celebrate Valentine's Day?". "Do we REALLY need to be in a relationship with the opposite sex to be able share the joy of this day?" Only then I remembered that Valentine's Day is not ALL about celebrating, but more importantly it's about sharing and giving love. During these cloudy moments, friends are DEFINITELY considered as the people that WE love.

So lesson No 2 is: Celebrate V-DAY anytime you want with anyone that you love and those
that mean THE MOST to you and those who can SHARE almost everything with you, someone you would want to eat ice-cream or whatever.

I'm glad Hitz.FM came up with such things called the 'Single Awareness Day S.A.D.
So yeah. I can feel him too.
Take a deep breath.

I'm going to sleep right now.

No comments: